widgets/installing-widgets/why-cant-i-see-my-widget/">More info)

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Marriage lessons in "Two Steps" or more

This year I decided that I wanted to do some things that I've been putting off for years. The beginning of each year I write out a "things to do" list for the year. I prefer not to call them resolutions. They are more like goals in my mind. Unfortunately life always seems to happen and my goal list turns into the typical resolution list. This year I made the decision to actually accomplish some goals and to place my obstacles and objections on the back burner. The top of my list included dance lessons. I didn't ask my husband, I just signed us up (I know what you're thinking, but this is not part of our marriage lessons today.) Something about paying for the lessons in advance has motivated us to actually show up. We had four lessons, one for each Saturday of February. I decided to sign us up for the Country and Western dance class I.

Lesson I:
We were late to our first class (next on the goal list "improve our ability to arrive on time.")
In the first lesson we learned the basic step. It goes like this; slow step, slow step, quick step, quick step or slow, slow, quick, quick. So this is why it is called "The Two Step." This actually seemed pretty easy. We felt confident. I equate the basic step to falling in love and getting married. That was easy too. The week after our first lesson we were excited and practiced a lot (again, falling in love and getting married..easy.) We put our best foot forward, careful not to "step on toes." The more we practiced the more comfortable we were with the basic step.
Lesson II:
We were late again (though only a few minutes this time.) The dance instructor focused our attention to the rules of dancing. I know this may come as a shock to those of you that define yourselves as progressive so feel free to ignore lesson II if it offends you. Not unlike marriage, dancing requires one leader and one follower. If two people are trying to lead, lots of toe stepping occurs. If two people are following, you don't go anywhere. It works best when the gentleman (notice I didn't just say "man") leads the woman. It works even better if the woman actually follows the man (trust me on this one, I have experience.) Now back to that word "gentleman." Men hear me on this one. If your shoulders are straight and strong and you hold her correctly and gently, you will lead her. Notice I didn't say, "if you get the footwork right." Yes, this is the secret in leading, shoulders straight, strong and gently guiding her where you want her to go. This is important because in lesson II we learned how to do turns (although I wanted to spin, but that is the Country and Western II class...I knew I was advanced.) So men, if you want to turn your lady, you need to lead her.
LESSON III:
Okay, I know its getting old but, we were running late. My husband reminds me of the time and we both start to rush to get ready. Of course, we kept getting in each others way. Then I remember that I still have to take our son to work before our class starts in thirty minutes. Naturally tensions are high, we got frustrated with each other. There was a fight. (Now we are talking real life marriage.) Ironically, we are headed to lesson III where we are learning the promenade and conversation. Hmmm, proof God has a sense of humor. So, I leave in a huff to take my son to work, not sure if my dear hubby is going to go to the class. I get there before him and call. I very pointedly say "so, are you coming?" To which he replies "I'm on my way." I have to say I was a little relieved. After all, we paid for the classes. We show up in separate cars neither of us "feeling" like dancing. Nevertheless, we walk in and learned the promenade and conversation. I could take this one in so many directions, but I believe the point is that sometimes in marriage, you just need to show up even if you don't feel like it.
LESSON IV:
We made it on time this week (I'm not making this up.) We had spent the day together with two of our kiddos. Nothing exciting, but it was a good day. The last dance lesson was icing on the cake. Interestingly, we were one of two couples that showed up for the last lesson. Basically, we received some private instruction. It was fun to rehearse our moves and just enjoy dancing together. As I thought about our last lesson it occured to me that over the last month the class had slowly dwindled down to two couples. Isn't that a paradox for marriage today. So few people really make it to the end. Its sad, because if they had just held on a little longer, they could have learned to dance. Okay, a little corney I admit. But marriage isn't. It can be tough sometimes. With each lesson you learn a little more. As you begin to learn new principles then you must put them into practice. Before you know it you are dancing. The key is that you learn something and then practice what you have learned. So go take some dance lessons and maybe we will see you in Country and Western II or maybe the Salsa (ooohh I wonder what marriage lessons I can get from that one...may not be suitable for younger audiences.)

No comments:

Post a Comment